There’s most likely not a day that goes by without some beauty retailer trying to convince you to add some new hot product into your everyday makeup arsenal. I know that when I’m reading articles online about beauty trends and such I definitely start to feel the heat to add in some new weaponry. But what’s actually necessary for your everyday routine? And in all honesty, the truth is whatever is the quickest and the most simplistic for you. Factor in things like when you’ll realistically wake up or how much time you’ll really have to get ready before an event! This will help inform just which steps you need to take. Remember: time and simplicity.
- Primer: I know time can be tight when you’re getting ready, but primer really is the step that you can’t skip! Primer will ensure that your bit of hard work putting on your face in the morning will last you throughout the day. For a more poreless finish, I put on my primer first thing after my witch hazel toner and let it dry for five minutes or so while I do my hair before I apply any makeup.
- Foundation: Make this step go by quickly by investing in a trusty foundation brush or my personal obsession, the beautyBlender. Don’t worry too much about covering everything with your foundation because your concealer and powder will fill in the gaps. I love to use a lightweight foundation (this one or this one) because they apply quickly and easily with buildable coverage. This step can be time-consuming with various foundation formulas, so in some cases I recommend using the two concealers I mention below with powder to get the coverage you need for most of the day if you’re in more of a hurry.
- Concealer: Totally necessary for covering dark under eyes from an early alarm or any blemishes that refuse to be tamed by your foundation. I cannot/will not go without my Nars Creamy Concealers. I use one in Vanilla to cover redness and pimples while the other in Chantilly is how I highlight to get a brighter, more awake look for the day.
- Powder: Like I mentioned before, this bad boy will fill in all of the gaps that foundation or concealer left behind. BUT if you can, you could even use JUST this powder because it is actually closer to a powder foundation, so it’s going to have a lot of coverage. This is an alternative option if you need coverage in a hurry.
- Blush: Pick a shade of blush that enhances your coloring in a subtle way. This will bring the right warmth to your face all day and will give you a much more complete look and not be too harsh.
- Mascara: Ah, yes. Sweet, sweet mascara. It has the power to do so much in such a small amount of time. Other than concealer or powder, mascara will bring you a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to looking pulled together in under 15 minutes or just for your everyday look.
- **Felt-tip eyeliner (if you’ve got an extra 2 minutes): If I have say 15-20 minutes to do my makeup for the day, I’ll take the time to do a quick wing-tip liner. For this I love to use this Charlotte Tilbury liner. Hold the liner pen at the same angle your outer eyelashes are going and swipe down. Then continue the line down to your tear-duct area to finish the look. If you’d like to see how I do this in a tutorial – let me know in the comments or on Instagram!