Throughout the years, I have gone through many changes with my hair. I’ve worn it long, short, super long, highlighted, ombre, and most recently, I had bangs! But despite all the changes, I always feel the most like myself when I have long hair. And long hair means more hair, so there are certain tips and tricks that I recommend for those of you with long hair and those trying to grow your hair long.
Tips for Caring for Long Hair:
- Use a wet-hair brush after a shower to prevent breakage
- Try to air-dry your hair as much as possible: Heat inevitably can bring damage to our hair, so if I can, I let my hair air dry after showers
- Wash every other day: I really wish I was one of those people who could curl my hair at the beginning of the week and have it last until the end. But unfortunately, I can only go every other day without washing! In the meantime if things get a little greasy, I can’t go without my Batiste dry shampoo. I spray it around my part and under the layers around my part, and then I scrunch it in with my fingers before brushing it through! I feel like I’m really getting it in there when I apply it that way.
- Make Moroccan oil your new BFF: I used to use this stuff religiously in high school and the beginning of college, and boy, without it I have noticed so many negative differences in my hair! I recommend running it through your hair and the ends after one or two showers a week to keep your hair feeling very nourished and hydrated. I don’t recommend applying it if you’re about to style your hair because I noticed it made my hair a bit too heavy to hold a good curl.
Tips for Growing Long Hair:
- Take Biotin: I know this seems obvious but it’s important to take the right amount of biotin to ensure fast growth. I am really trying to grow my bangs out (it is THE most painful process ever) and am taking 5000 mcg of biotin every day or every other day to get those babies growin’.
- Get regular hair trims: This may seem counterintuitive when you’re trying to grow your hair, but these trims clear out the yucky hair preventing more growth.
- Wear your hair down as often as you can: When hair is pulled up into a ponytail or bun too often, this can prevent your hair from growing. Definitely don’t sleep with your hair up! I really have noticed that this is true in trying to grow hair out. I’ve started pinning back my bangs whenever I wear a ponytail or bun instead of pulling them up into my hair to make sure they have some breathing room to grow.
- Use Mane & Tail shampoo/conditioner: Okay, I haven’t tried this myself, but I have had numerous friends swear by it for hair growth. I seriously think I’m going to run out to CVS today and grab some and just wash my bangs with it, ha!