Who’s ready for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
I’m going to be 100% honest about each thing I purchased from the Nordstrom sale and going into why I kept what I did and why I sent back certain items. There are so many items in this sale and I found it difficult not to want everything. But once the packages came in and I tried everything on it became clear that some pieces just weren’t worth the hype while some were major winners for my wardrobe.
But before we get into it, I want to start off with a few little tips and tricks that I’ve learned while shopping from the Nordstrom Sale:
- Use the “Buy Now & Pickup In-Store” option as much as possible: Being able to pick up my purchases within the same day of buying them was so nice for so many reasons. I was able to very quickly size up which pieces probably weren’t the quality I was looking for and vice versa. When I was opening up packages yesterday, there were definitely some pieces that I know I would’ve returned on the spot had I been able to pick them up in store. That definitely would’ve saved me some time having to go back and forth to the store to make returns!
- Stick to the brands you know and love: There are so many brands that caught my eye during this sale that I hadn’t heard of before. While this is exciting, it can also be misleading because you’re unfamiliar with sizing or quality from these brands. I decided to try items from really affordable brands and this worked out for me on a few pieces but not so much on the majority of items. I think I got caught up in the crazy good price point and then ended up disappointed when the quality just wasn’t quite there or it looked nothing like what was on the website.
- Read product descriptions about materials: This is really just a part B to the above tip, but just make sure that you know a bit more about the fabrics of the items you’re ordering. When I buy something (especially for the winter), I want to know that I can wear it to death and it’ll hold up for more than just the few months of a season. Look for items that’re made with wool/wool-blend or have a higher amount of cotton rather than polyester or other synthetic fibers.
- Dig further into customer reviews: One thing I LOVE about Nordstrom is the loads of customer reviews on each product. There is seriously nothing more helpful when you’re trying to make a decision about a piece!
WHAT I KEPT
- 1.State Waylan Slip-On Sneaker: I just got back from a work trip last night and immediately opened these up, and I was immediately obsessed and considering ordering another pair. The reviews said the shoe runs true to size which made me nervous because a lot of the time sneakers can run small for me. But I went with a size 7 and it really does fit perfectly. They are SO cute and sleek (basically look exactly like the Vince version) and the sole is slightly platform which is super comfy and adds some much appreciated length to my legs. Now I’ve got my eye on the olive green color…
- Trouve Layering Tee: I WANT EVERY COLOR. This tee is going to be my everything this fall and winter. I had barely even slipped it over my head before I was thinking, “yes, yes, yes!” I like that it’s fitted (but not TOO clingy aka room for the occasional bloating 😉 ) because that means it’ll tuck in seamlessly to high-waisted jeans or skirts this winter. I got it in a small and it’s a great fit; sleeves are a bit long but you can scrunch them up a pinch without it looking weird. And I seriously couldn’t even finish writing this paragraph before I ordered it in grey…because it’s STILL IN STOCK.
- BP Lace Cami: Y’all love this cami! It has been one of the top selling items from NWL during this sale – y’all are amazing, seriously. It’s currently sold out but DON’T WORRY – this one is too good for them not to restock. I went with a size small which has been a perfect fit and the straps are adjustable if you’re worried about the neckline being revealing. [ In-stock alternative here ]
- BP Rib Knit Cardigan: Over the moon about this cardigan, let me tell ya. It’s just the right weight to be warm in a cold office or in the grocery store this summer if you’re wanting to wear it now. And it’s also the perfect weight to wear in the “colder” seasons we have here in Texas. I went with a size small for a closer fit, and y’all, it’s SO flattering. If that’s the fit you’re looking for, I recommend sizing down. It’s currently pretty sold out but will be restocked – I will keep you updated! [ In-stock alternative here ]
- BP Cold Shoulder Tunic: This tunic is also another fave for you guys! I really love it and honestly wish it was appropriate to wear it now. I love the tunic fit and it’s just the right weight for fall transitional time. [ In-stock alternative here or here ]
- BlankNYC Suede Jacket: This one was a bummer for me. I know that I had previously written about my love for this jacket, and I’m still absolutely obsessed with my other BlankNYC jacket, but I think that this brand changed some things about the fit of this piece. I don’t always have an easy time buying jackets because a lot of them will be too tight in the shoulders when I cross my arms. So with this jacket, the fit in the shoulders was just right but the sleeves were too long and the fit through the body was too big and boxy. You might be thinking I just could’ve sized down to a small, but then I wouldn’t be able to move around very much as the fit around the shoulders would be too tight. Now I know this brand to run very true to size, so for those of you who may have narrower shoulders, this jacket could still be a great fit for you. But I just wanted to let y’all know that it just didn’t work out for me, so I am going to be on the lookout for another suede moto jacket this season and will keep you updated on what I find.
- BP Bell Cuff Sweater: I really love this sweater! It’s SO CUTE. But like I mentioned in this post, it fit well in the arms but it was too short on my torso (I have a long torso!) so I decided to order it in a medium to see if that would help with length. But that size up only left me with a sweater that was too baggy and boxy and the bell sleeve cuffs were hanging like sad deflated balloons 🙁 NOOOO! I am mega-bummed about this one but I have no doubt in my mind that I’ll be hunting down other bell sleeve sweaters like a mad woman – so stay tuned!
- BP V-Neck Pullover: This pullover had all the potential to be a contender for my heart. But alas no such luck. I ordered the small because the site says it runs a bit large. Online it looked like it fit more like a tunic but I didn’t think that it was long enough to drape over my butt for some coverage. If I were to size up to a medium for length then it would definitely be way too low cut and I’d need to wear a cami under it or something which is fine but just not ideal for me. Back to Nordy’s it goes. I now know to stick with my fave thermal pullovers from Madewell!
- Dreamers by Debut Rib Knit Open Cardigan: This cardigan might have been one of the biggest disappointments from this sale 🙁 I was just certain that it was going to be everything I wanted and more, but unfortunately, I was wrong! The color just was not what I saw on the internet and really was more of a very blah cream tone. It was also super chunky, and the way it laid on my body was so unflattering. And the fabric just felt so synthetic and almost plastic-y to me which was a turnoff for something that I wanted to snuggle up in all the time. Back to square one on finding a replacement creamy cardigan!
WAITING ON THE VERDICT
- UPDATE – KEEP*** Marc Fisher Yomi Chealsea booties: I LOVE these booties and they’re actually the only pair of shoes I got from the Nordstrom Sale. I just wasn’t thrilled by any of the other pairs that were in my price range. But I always end up loving any pair of Marc Fisher shoes that I get, so I knew that I couldn’t go wrong here. There isn’t a fall/winter season that goes by that I don’t want a pointy-toe boot and these did just the trick for me visually. Marc Fisher runs very true to size for me so I went with a size 7 in these. The 7 is a perfect fit and they are so easy to get on with the gussets on the side!
- UPDATE – RETURN** Lush Side Slit Tee: I ended up really not liking the way that this shirt fit. I ordered it in a small and the fit was too close on my chest and not an oversized look. I really prefer the more relaxed v-neck neckline on my favorite Madewell tees, if you’re looking for that I’d recommend sizing up one size for a looser fit. [ In-stock alternative here ]
WAITING FOR A RESTOCK
- Free People Oversized Plaid Tunic: I had this bad boy in my cart the first day of early access and I didn’t get it! I am kicking myself now. I LOVE the high-low fit and it looks exactly like something I would incorporate into my fall wardrobe uniform.
- Leith Easy Circle Cardigan: Although I may be currently in a vulnerable state when it comes to cardigans, I’m willing to put myself out there again when it comes to this one. It’s currently only available in blue in XS, but I will be patiently awaiting a restock of this sweater in cream!